Untitled Document
Untitled Document
Click a department at left or scroll the entire page.


When and where does the council meet?

The Council has regularly scheduled meetings on the second and fourth Monday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Nevada City Hall, Council Chambers, 1209 6th Street.  If the regular meeting date falls on a holiday the meeting is automatically moved to following non-holiday usually Tuesday.  The Council also meets as needed for special meetings and work sessions.  All agendas are posted on the bulleting board in the entry of City Hall or available on the city's web site.

How do I get the City Council agenda or a copy of the minutes?

Agendas and minutes are available on the City's web site. If you need copies of minutes or agendas that are not available on the web site you may contact the CityClerk by phone at 382-5466 or by email at kwright@midiowa.net to request copies. Hard copies are $.50 per page.

When and where do you post the council meeting agenda?

Council meeting agendas are required to be posted at least 24 hour before the start time of the meeting.  Our agendas are posted in the bulletin board in the entry of city hall.  Agendas and the entire packets are also available at the Nevada Public Library in the reference section.

Who is my ward representative and how can I contact him or her?

You can check out this link to the city's ward map.  Click on the Council Members  link to get the contact information for all of the elected officials.  Feel free to contact your ward representative or any of the council members.  The elected officials not only serve their ward but the entire community.  Maps are also available on the Story County Auditors web site

What does ‘at large’ mean?

There are two council seats that are considered 'at large' meaning that they are voted on by all four wards.

How do I submit a request/inquiry/complaint to the City?

What happens when I submit a complaint to the City?  Check out this link to our Citizen Request/Inquiry Form.  Complete the form completely and return it to Nevada City Hall by mail, in the drop box, or in person.  The form will be routed to the appropriate department for action or response.  For an inquiry staff will respond to answer your question(s) for requests that need action staff will complete the action in a timely manner and let you know when completed or if it is something that will take time get back to you with an estimated time of completion.

How do I register to vote and where do I go to vote?

To register to vote in Iowa, you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States.
  • Be a resident of Iowa.
  • Be at least 17 ½ years old (you must be 18 to vote).
  • Not have been convicted of a felony (or you must have had your rights restored).
  • Not currently judged by a court to be "incompetent to vote"
  • Give up your right to vote in any other place.

All Story County residents may register to vote at the Story County Auditors Office at the Story County Administration Building, 900 6th Street between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.  There is also a Iowa Voter Registration Application in most phone books that any applicant may complete and send to the Story County Auditor, 900 6th Street, Nevada, IA  50201.  You may also download the form here.

If you submit forms by mail and you are registering to vote for the first time in Story County you must enclose a copy of one of the following:

Current and valid photo identification card showing your name.

Current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document showing your name and address.

You do not need to send any of the documents listed above if you include your Iowa driver's license number (or Iowa non-driver identification number issued by the Department of Transportation) or the last four digits of your social security number and this information can be verified.

The voter pre-registration deadline is 10 days before general and primary elections, 11 days before all other elections. When you pre-register, your name will appear on the election register so that you will be able to sign in and vote quickly when you arrive at your polling place on Election Day.

If you need further information about voting, registering or elections, you may contact the Story County Auditors Office at 515-382-7210.
Voter registration forms are also available at the Iowa Secretary of State's Office, county auditors' offices, public assistance agencies, public libraries, and political party offices.

Voters can also register in person at the Iowa Secretary of State's Office, county auditors' offices, driver's license stations, public assistance agencies, state offices serving people with disabilities, and with some city clerks and school board secretaries.

Your county auditor's office will send you a voter registration card within two weeks after your registration was received. The card will list the polling place for the precinct in which you are registered. If you do not receive a voter registration card, contact your county auditor to confirm that they received your registration.

If you do not pre-register to vote before the voter registration deadline, you can go to the polling place for the address where you currently live and register and vote on Election Day. You will need to show proof of identity and proof of your current residence. The best form of identification is a valid Iowa driver's license with your current address printed on it. All forms of photo ID must be current, valid, and contain an expiration date.

If your Iowa driver's license has a former address on it (and is not expired), you may use the license as proof of identity and use one of the following to prove your residence if it contains your name and current address:

  • Residential lease,
  • Property tax statement,
  • Utility bill,
  • Bank statement,
  • Paycheck,
  • Government check, or
  • Other government document.

If you do not have an Iowa driver's license, you can provide one of the following as proof of identity if it contains your photo and an expiration date:

  • An out-of-state driver's license,
  • Non-driver identification card,
  • U.S. passport,
  • U.S. military ID,
  • ID card issued by employer, or
  • Student ID issued by Iowa high school or college.

If you do not have proof of identity and residence, a registered voter in the precinct may attest to your identity and residence. Both you and the attester will be required to sign an oath swearing the statements being made are true. Falsely attesting or being attested for is registration fraud and is a class "D" felony, punishable by a fine of up to $7500 and up to 5 years in prison. Registration fraud also includes falsely registering to vote, attempting to falsely register to vote, and registering to vote in more than one precinct.

If you do not have proof of identity and residence and do not have anyone who can attest to your identity and residence, you will be allowed to vote a provisional ballot.

After the election, all voters who registered to vote on Election Day will be sent a notice by mail. If this notice is returned as undeliverable, a forwardable notice will be mailed to the voter. If the county auditor does not receive a response to that notice within 14 days, the auditor will notify the county attorney and secretary of state for investigation and possible prosecution

Does the Mayor get to vote?

Per Nevada Code the Mayor is the Chief Executive Officer of the City and the presiding officer of the Council.  The Mayor is not allowed to vote except the Mayor may vote to break a tie vote on motions not involving ordinances, resolutions or appointments made by the Council alone.

Do the Mayor and council members have an office?

The Mayor does have a office for use but the Council members do not have offices.

What are the goals of the City?

Click here for city goals document (PDF)

What do I do to let the Mayor know I would like to serve on a Board or Commission?

Complete and return this application form to the Mayor by mail, dropping it off in person or in the drop box, or electronically at mayor@midiowa.net.

Utility bill concerns?

If you have a concern or problem with your utility bill, please call Nevada City Hall at 382-5466.

What are the payment options for utility bills?

Utility bills may be paid in person or in the drop box in the parking lot island in front of city hall at 1209 6th Street. 

Online Payment using a credit, debit (processed as credit) or echeck may be made through the City's website at:  www.cityofnevadaiowa.org. A small fee will be charged for this service.

Automatic Payments may also be set up for ACH payment by submitting our ACH Application and voided check. This will allow the city to automatically withdraw the utility bill each month from your account. You will still receive a copy of your statement. An ACH Application may be found on the city's website under the "Forms" tab at the very bottom of the page.

TheCity Hall office accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express. There is a small fee charged for this service.

How do I start utility service at my new address?

In order to begin utility service in Nevada you must complete an application for service.  You may print out the form and complete it off site but it must be returned in person along with photo identification by the person whose name will be on the account.  You are also required to provide a social security number which is kept confidential.  These are new requirements are from the Federal Trade Commission's ("FTC") Red Flag Rule, which implements Section 114 of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act of 2003 to help prevent identity theft.

Natural gas or electrical service?

Electric and gas service north of Highway 30 is provided by Alliant Energy who may be reached at 800-822-4348.South of Highway the electric is provided by Consumers Energy who may be reached at 800-696-6552.  The natural gas service is provided by Alliant Energy who may be reached at 800-822-4348.

Who do I contact for garbage pickup?

The city licenses garbage haulers in Nevada and these licenses are based on a calendar year.  The following have licenses for 2009:

  • Chitty Garbage 515-382-3808 or 1-800-541-8190
  • Arends Sanitation 515-382-6278
  • Pratt Sanitation 515-382-4951
  • Waste Management 515-233-1458

Who do I contact for local phone service?

The local phone service is provided by Windstream who may be reached at 877-901-4692.

Who do I contact for cable television?

The local cable television service is provided by Mediacom who may be reached at 233-4646.

Storm sewer trouble?

Storms sewers are maintained by the streets department.  If you see a problem with an intake that is plugged you may contact the streets department directly by calling 382-4813 or by e-mail at nevadastreets@midiowa.net.  You must leave a detailed message with your name and contact information along with the address of the problem and the type of problem.

Tree growing too close to the electric lines?

Trees and other vegetation crowing utility lines are removed by the affected utility.  Alliant and Consumers do periodically clean areas of town but if you are having a problem, please contact your electric service provider:  Alliant Energy at 800-822-4348 or Consumer Energy at 800-696-6552.

Locating a utility?

All utilities are located by calling Iowa One Call at 800-292-8989 or 811 at least 48 hours prior to all excavation. Iowa One Call is a free service.  All buried or underground utilities will be located.

Water concerns?

If you are having a problem with your water or see a water main break, please contact the Water Department at 382-2074 or by e-mail (nevadawater@midiowa.net).  The current Water Quality Report is available by clicking here. The water department's hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.  If you have a problem and no one is answering their phone you may contact the Nevada City Hall at 382-5466 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.  If your problem is not during normal business hours, please contact Story County Dispatch at 382-4305 and they will contact the appropriate staff to correct the problem.

Sewer concerns?

If you are having a problem with your sewer, please contact the Streets Department at 382-4813 or by e-mail: nevadastreets@midiowa.net.   The streets department's hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.  If you have a problem and no one is answering their phone you may contact the Nevada City Hall at 382-5466 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.  If your problem is not during normal business hours, please contact Story County Dispatch at 382-4305 and they will contact the appropriate staff to correct the problem.


What are the rules for decorations?

Fresh cut flowers may be used at any time and will remain until in the judgment of the Sexton they become wilted and /or unsightly.  Potted plants in an acceptable container may be used until the Sexton judges them to be unsightly.  DO NOT use glass, clay, or pottery containers, pieces of wire or similar bindings to secure baskets or pots at any time.  For more information regarding rules for decorations please view the current Nevada Municipal Cemetery Brochure in the section titled Cemetery Clean-up.

When are scheduled cemetery clean-ups?

All decorations will be removed 2 weeks following Memorial Day unless installed on a stone or foundation, in saddles on the stones, or on Sheppard's hooks placed next to the foundation.

Spring Clean-Up will be the 3rd full week of April.  Fall Clean-Up will be the 3rd full week of October.  During Spring and Fall Clean-Ups all decorations will be disposed of, except those placed in vases, saddles or on Sheppard's hooks.

Am I allowed to plant trees, bushes, real flowers?

All landscaping, including the planting of trees and shrubs, will be done by the Cemetery unless the board has given special permission.  Potted plants in an acceptable container may be used and remain until the Sexton judges them to be unsightly.  The Sexton, without notice, may remove vegetation that has been planted on lots and not maintained.

What are the sexton’s hours?

7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday – Friday or by appointment.  It is strongly encouraged to set an appointment time with the Sexton.

Can I sell my space to someone else or back to the cemetery?

The Cemetery maintains a list of individuals that have lots for sale.  When individuals are looking to purchase lots, and there are appropriate lots for sale by current owners, this information is shared.  The transaction takes place between the current lot owner and purchaser with proper paperwork including any and all deeds.

Can I trade spaces within the cemetery?

Trading spaces is allowed; however, you must contact the Cemetery Sexton for further information.


What is the burning policy in the City?

Burning of garbage is prohibited.  Yard waste and brush are allowed to be burned during daylight hours before and fires must be attended.  You are not allowed to burn on city streets or alleys.  If the county has declared a burning ban, all burning shall seize.  Be aware of wind conditions and be considerate of neighbors before burning.

When an emergency vehicle is approaching displaying emergency lights and sirens, what should I do?

By Iowa law, you shall pull to the right and stop.   This allows fire apparatus adequate and clear lanes to safely and quickly continue its response.

How can I become a volunteer firefighter?

Contact the Fire Chief 515-382-4593 to pick up an application or have one mailed to you.

How can I become a volunteer for the Nevada First Responders?

The Nevada Community Fire Department is looking for someone like you!

Our department consists of over 30 professional volunteer members and one full time fire chief.  Some of our department personnel are cross-trained as Firefighters and Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) or First Responders. Annually, our department responds to over 700 calls with approximately 70% of those calls being EMS related.

We offer a variety of opportunities to serve, each with a high level of satisfaction. Whether you serve as a firefighter, or emergency medical responder, few opportunities in life can match the satisfaction of knowing you're making a difference in the lives of others.

The department accepts applications from adults regardless of gender, race, religious or sexual preference. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver's license, and pass a criminal background check. Applicants desiring to be firefighters and/or EMTs should be able to handle the physical requirements and demands of the job. Applications are available on our website, in-person, or can be mailed to you upon request.

Is the Nevada Community Fire Department volunteer?

Yes, and no. Technically we are considered a combination department. There is a full-time fire chief who handles all the day to day administrative duties of running the department and respond to calls.  The rest of our membership consists of over 30 "volunteers" who dedicate their time for training and calls. Volunteers can respond to calls at any of the day or night if they are available to respond.

What types of incidents does the department respond to?

We respond to just about every type of emergency imaginable. Medical emergencies, structure fires, car fires, brush and trash fires, motor vehicle accidents, carbon monoxide incidents, and alarm activations are just some of the calls we receive. Obviously we respond to calls at all hours, every day of the year.

How many calls does the department receive?

Our call volume has increased steadily over the past several years. In 2011, we responded to over 800 calls for fire and/or EMS. The year 2011 was the first time in the department's history in which we responded to over 800 fire and EMS calls.

Is the department looking for any more volunteers?

Yes! We are actively seeking new people to join the ranks of our current members. We are looking for people interested in becoming firefighters and/or emergency medical providers.

Why should I volunteer … what’s in it for me?

You will get back what you put into this position. As a department, we will invest in you by providing you with equipment, training, facilities, and welcome you into our "family". As a member you will be expected to invest in yourself by completing the required training, taking your responsibilities seriously, and giving back to the community. If you put forth a solid effort and commit to being a dedicated member, the rewards and satisfaction are great. Frankly, if you put forth a minimal effort, your experience will not be as rewarding.

But I’m really busy with the kids, work, etc … I can’t possibly commit the time.

The time commitment is definitely something to consider. It seems everyone is busier than ever nowadays, and the men and women of the Nevada Community Fire Department are no exception. We all have jobs, most of us have families, and some of us are attending school. But we're all able to find a few hours each week to devote to the department. With more members, we can all shoulder the workload.

I really don’t think I’d fit in … I’m not that type of person.

What type of person is that? Our members come from all walks of life. We have men and women, college students, young single people, husbands and wives, parents, (single parents too,) and even a few grandparents. We have professionals with graduate degrees, business owners, and "blue collar guys." Our organization prides itself in its professionalism.  The old stereotypes of a volunteer fire department just aren't accurate anymore.

What are the requirements to be a Nevada fire fighter or EMS responder?

You must be at least 18 years of age, of good moral character, be a resident of the district, be physically capable of performing the duties of a firefighter and/or EMS provider. Our application process is described in more detail below.

What is it like to be a firefighter or EMT?

For starters, anything you saw in the movies or on TV is pretty much wrong! If you are expecting instant glory, fame, fortune, or hero status, you may be disappointed. If you expect to pay your dues, train hard, and learn your craft, the satisfaction, experience, and respect of your peers will follow. Is it dangerous? It can be, but we go to great lengths to train to do things properly and safely rather than rushing inside in a cavalier manner. Is it exciting? Sometimes it is – sometimes not so much.

What is being a probie like?

It's a time to learn the basics about firefighting and the department, and there's a lot to learn. You'll get your hands dirty, and you'll be doing some not-so-glamorous work like rolling hose. It's a time to pay your dues and show the members of the department what you're made of. But don't worry, there's nothing demeaning or humiliating about it, and you'll already be making a very real contribution to the department.

I think I’d like to be a firefighter and or EMT, but I’m not sure. How can I find out more?

We want to give you all the information you need to help you make your decision. If you still have unanswered questions, send an email to nevadafire@midiowa.net, or call the Fire Chief at 515-382-4593, or stop buy the Fire Chief's office at the City Hall/Public Safety Facility or the station when you see people there. We'll be happy to answer your questions and show you around the firehouse. Chances are there's a friend or neighbor of yours there. Give one of them a call and they'll be happy to speak to you about the department as well.

So how do I apply and become a probationary member?

If you have decided it's worth a try, you can contact the department to for an application form. Alternatively, you can download a form from our website at www.cityofnevadaiowa.org  in the Membership Application heading in the Fire Department section of the "City Departments" link on the webpage. Please fill the application out completely and provide a photocopy of your driver's license any support documents such as existing certifications or previous relevant experience. If, upon the review of your application, you are determined to be eligible, members of the department with contact you to schedule and interview. From there, the committee will make a recommendation to the Fire Chief regarding your eligibility to become a member.  Then your application will be placed on an upcoming Nevada City Council Agenda for "official" approval.

How can I find out what types of programs the Department offers?

You can visit our web site or call 515-382-4593 to speak with the Fire Chief.

Is counseling available if my child is setting fires?

Yes, Call the Fire Chief to schedule a time for assistance (515-382-4593)

How do I schedule a station tour or a presentation to my group?

Call the Fire Chief at 515-382-4593.

Will the Fire Department inspect my home for fire safety?

Yes, You may contact the Nevada Community Fire Department to schedule a free and confidential inspection of your home. Call the Fire Chief at 515-382-4593.

What does a home fire inspection consist of?

These are some of the major components checked during the inspection:

  • Proper usage of extension cords / overloading of electrical outlets
  • Proper installation of smoke detectors
  • Visibility of home address numbers – must be able to view from street
  • Proper storage of Flammable liquids and poisons
  • Inspect fireplace and chimney – clean and in good repair
  • Furnace Filters clean
  • Assist in the preparation of an exit drill in the home
  • Proper placement of fire extinguishers

How often should fire extinguishers be serviced?

Fire extinguishers placed in a single-family residence are not required for any service or certification. However the Nevada Fire Department recommends all extinguishers be checked on an annual basis.

Where can I get my fire extinguisher serviced?

You can find providers in your local phone book. The Nevada Community Fire Department cannot fill and or service fire extinguishers. Ensure your provider is familiar with NFPA 10 (Standard on Portable Fire Extinguishers).

Will emergency shelters be available for my family in the event of an emergency?

The Nevada Public Library is a designated Tornado Shelter. The tornado shelter will be opened by the Nevada Police Department.  Red Cross Shelters will be opened within the community for other emergencies as needed. The community will be notified where those shelters will be located.

Are outdoor fire pits and “chimeneas” type devices permitted in the City?

Open fires in pits and "chimeneas" are allowed for cooking, heating, recreation and ceremonies, provided they comply with the limits for emission of visible air contaminants established by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources rules.   No garbage or other waste not otherwise allowed by ordinance to be burned in the city is allowed to be burned in the outdoor fire pit or "chimenea".  Also, use of chimeneas shall be in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and recommendations for use.

Why do emergency apparatus use their red lights then turn them off?

Often emergency apparatus are disregarded or have their emergency response downgraded to a non emergency response by the communications center, fire department officers, or law enforcement.

Are smoke detectors required and where should they be located?

Effective April 1, 2009 (effective date delayed from Oct. 1, 2008.) the State Fire Marshal will require all new residential construction to be equipped with dual sensor smoke detectors.  This requirement is for NEW CONSTRUCTION only and does not place requirements on existing homes.  Further details on this critical life saving requirement can be found by visiting the State Fire Marshal website at www.dps.state.is.us/fm/smokedetector

Regarding existing single family dwellings, there are no legal requirements for the installation of smoke detectors.  However, your Nevada Community Fire Department strongly urges you and your family install smoke detectors, insure that they are functioning at all times, and practice home fire safety drills.

There are legal requirements for the installation of smoke detectors in certain other residential occupancies such as apartments.  Please contact the Nevada Fire Chief at 515-382-4593 regarding the legal requirements for the installation and maintenance of smoke detectors

Please do your part to help reduce the number of fire injuries and death. Properly installed and maintained smoke alarms are the key to ensuring early notification in the event of a fire. This is critical to improving the chance of surviving in a fire!

How will my family be notified of impending emergencies, or provided emergency information?

The Nevada Community Fire Department is partnering with the Nevada Police Department in the Code Red program.  Please visit the Nevada Police Department's webpage on this Web site for further details on this new and exciting program.

What is the burning policy in the City?

Per city ordinance, the city allows the open burning of disaster rubbish, diseased trees, and waste gases, with certain restrictions. Landscape waste is allowed to be burned ONLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING RESTRICTIONS:

  • Location Restricted. No person shall burn landscape waste unless the location is at least forty (40) feet from any structure, including wooden fences and utility poles, or within a public utility easement. Burn barrels are prohibited.
  • Periods Set. Periods of open burning are restricted to April 1 through May 15 and Oct. 1 through Nov. 20. Open burning during the period of April 1 through May 15 shall not commence before 8 a.m. and the fire must be fully extinguished by 7 p.m. Open burning during the period of Oct. 1 through Nov. 20 shall not commence before 8 a.m. and the fire must be fully extinguished by 5 p.m. The dates may be amended by the Fire Chief.
  • Attendance Required at Open Fires. A competent adult shall constantly attend all open fires of landscape waste until such fire is fully extinguished. This person shall have a garden hose connected to the water supply, or other fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
  • Fire Chief Authority. The Fire Chief may prohibit all burning under this subsection when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous.
  • Igniting Materials. Flammable or combustible liquids, accelerants, or tires shall not be used to ignite any fire.
  • Recreational Fires. Open fires for cooking, heating, recreation and ceremonies, provided they comply with the limits for emission of visible air contaminants established by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources rules.

The full text of the city ordinance can be found at www.cityofnevadaiowa.org and click on the Fire Department link.  Copies can also be picked up at the Fire Chief's Office at 1209 6th Street. You can call the fire chief at 515-382-4593 and a copy of the city ordinance will be mailed to you.

Do you offer fire extinguisher training?

Yes. You may call the Fire Chief Office at 515-382-4593 to schedule this training.

Does the City of Nevada have a severe weather warning system?

There are sirens located in the following locations around town:

  • 1st Street and J Avenue (Nevada Cemetary)
  • 15th Street and M Avenue (Harrington Park)
  • South 11th Street and South B Avenue (Near Justice Center0
  • SW 4th Street and Maple Avenue (South of Highway 30)

These sirens are sounded when severe weather information is received from the National Weather Service, or trained severe weather spotters.  When the outdoor warning system is activated members of the Nevada Community Fire Department respond to observe weather conditions.  Members of the Nevada Community Fire Department have been trained by the National Weather Service as Storm Spotters.  The sirens are activated when a tornado warning has been issued for Story County

As a reminder, this system's purpose is to provide OUTDOOR warning.  It is not the purpose of the system to provide warning indoors.  The Nevada Community Fire Department recommends the purpose of any commercially available indoor warning systems.

For other weather related information, including radar images, please visit the National Weather Service at www.crh.noaa.gov/dmx.

For additional information on all aspects of emergency preparedness, please visit Story County Emergency Management at www.storycounty.com/emergencymanagement.


What are the library hours?

10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Monday - Thursday
10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Friday
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday

Do I need to be a resident of Nevada in order to get a library card?

Anyone in Iowa can get a Nevada library card through an Iowa State funded program called Open Access.

How do I get a library card?

Bring in identification with current address. You must be 5 years old for a card.

Can I renew the library materials that I have checked out?

All items may be renewed except for movies and items that have been reserved by another person.

Can I renew my books over the phone?

Yes, also online, email and in person.

Do you have storytime for children?

We have story times for children infant – 4th grade. We also have programming for teens and adults.

Does the library have internet access computers for public use?

Library has 12 internet computers for the public and WiFi for people who want to bring in their own laptops and devices.

How can I leave a memorial for a loved one?

You can donate to the library to honor individuals living or diseased. We use the donations per your intentions and place a donation statement on circulating items.

Can I borrow a book from another library through inter-library loan?

We borrow a variety of materials, not just books from libraries in Iowa and the Midwest.

Does the library have a Friends group?

The Friends of the Nevada Public Library are active. They manage our sales and support summer reading, provide books for the adult reading group, and help purchase books, music, movies, etc to augment or start up collections.

May I have books delivered to me at home?

We deliver to the homebound, senior housing, and nursing homes. We choose items based on each person's requests.

How long can I have book, movies, and other types of materials checked out?

Books, audio books, and magazines are checked out for two weeks.  Movies are checked out for one week.

Is there a limit to the number of books, movies, and other materials that I can check out at one time?

There is a limit of 5 movies per person, and no limit on other items.


My neighbor is not mowing his lawn, what can I do?

City Ordinances define grass over 12" tall as a nuisance.  If you feel your neighbors grass is approaching that height please contact Shawn Cole at 382-5466.

Are smoke detectors required and where should they be located?

Smoke detectors must be installed in every home.  They should be mounted on the ceiling and centrally located by bedroom doors and at the bottom of the stairs in the basement, the units must receive power from the house panel.

Do I need a permit for a new fence installation?

Yes.  A permit is needed if a fence will be constructed on a residential lot.  Click here for fence requirements.

How can I find out zoning on a property?

Call the Planning & Zoning Department at 515-382-5466 to find out zoning on a property or click here to go the City of Nevada's Zoning Map.

How do I locate my property lines?

In order to assist you in locating property lines, a copy of the official plat of subdivision showing property dimensions is available at the Planning & Zoning Department. Additionally, this information can be reviewed at the appropriate County Recorder's Office or the Story County's GIS website. In newer subdivisions, the front lot pins can often be found at the ends of the sidewalk (look for an expansion joint), one foot toward the house from the house side of the sidewalk.  If unable to locate the property pins and need specific dimensions for the project or questions, the City of Nevada suggests contacting a licensed land surveyor to survey the property.

If I am replacing an existing fence or deck, is a building permit required?

If replacing less than 60% of the structure, a building permit is not required.

What are the requirements for an egress window?

Any room used for sleeping requires an egress window with a minimum of 5.7 square feet clear area.  Maximum sill height is 42". Finish basement flyer.

When am I required to put a hand rail on my deck?

When the deck is over 30" above the adjacent ground. Deck flyer.

When and how do you schedule an inspection?

Depending on the type of permit, different inspections may be needed.  Inspections are scheduled on a first-come, first serve basis and must be requested 24 hours in advance.  Call the Planning & Zoning Department at 515-382-5466 for specific information or to schedule an inspection.

When do I need to apply for a building permit?

When installing, adding, altering or remodeling any structure on a property.

When do I qualify for a Tax Abatement?

If your improvement increases the assessed value 5% then you are eligible for a 100% tax abatement for 3 years on the improvement.  For more information call the Planning & Zoning Department at 515-382-5466 or the County Assessor at 515-382-7320. Tax abatement form.

The Following Pertain to the Nevada Sidewalks Program


Why must I pay for it?

The State Code of Iowa (Chapter 364.12 and 364.13) and City Code places on each property owner the responsibility for repair and maintenance of sidewalks. More important, however, is the fact that courts have held property owners responsible for injuries when people have fallen on defective sidewalks.

What is required?

The enclosed Sidewalk Repair Survey Form and City Standards for Defective Sidewalks sheet show the work needed the location and specific reason for repair. Please contact the Engineering Division, Construction Observation if you need assistance interpreting the work required on the sidewalk.

Do I need a permit to do this work?

Yes, the permit is available at the Planning & Zoning Department, 1209 6th Street. The permit process notifies the City when the work is to be performed, by whom, and allows for inspection prior to pouring concrete for your protection. The permit fees have been waived for this project.

Will the City remove a street tree that is damaging my sidewalk?

If the tree that is causing the damage is in the public Right-of-Way, the City may remove the tree if it is dead or diseased.  Please contact us as far in advance as you can, so we can properly schedule the work.

Can I use sack Crete or mix my own concrete for sidewalk replacement?

No. All concrete used for sidewalk replacement must be a commercially produced IDOT Figure C mix design.

What is the thickness of the sidewalk supposed to be?

The sidewalk is to be 4" thick, except through drives where it is to be 6" thick and separated by 1/2" expansion on all sides but the street side where 1" of expansion is to be used.

Can I use caulking or sealant to repair cracks? (Figure D)

Caulking or sealant is not permitted to repair cracks. Cracked sidewalks must be replaced.

Can I use patching material to repair spawled areas (Figure E)?

Patching material is not allowed for spawled sidewalks.

Can I mud jack or raise (Figure A) or (Figure C) repairs?

Mud jacking is permitted for these repairs unless the area of repair is also cracked (Figure D) or spawled (Figure E), then it must be replaced. Raised sidewalks must be properly supported with stable suitable fill material. No grinding of Figure A will be permitted.

Who is responsible for repairing my damaged irrigation system?

Any irrigation lines that are in the public right of way are subject to damage and are the responsibility of the homeowner to repair. These lines are not part of the Iowa One Call System and are often times in direct conflict with the necessary work.


Can I register for a program even though I don’t live in Nevada?

Yes, Nevada Parks and Recreation accepts participation from anyone interested in participating regardless of where they live.

Can I register over the phone?

No, all registrations need to be completed online at http://abcsportscamps.com/nevadaiowa

Do I need to preregister for a program, or can I pay the first day of the program?

Preregistration is required and payment is made at the time of registration.  Payment can be made with debit or credit at the time of registration on the http://abcsportscamps.com/nevadaiowa registration site.

I did not receive a confirmation. How do I know my child is in the program?

When registration is completed via the online registration process, you will receive a confirmation email.

How do I know if a program is rained out or cancelled?

Depending on the timing of the cancellation, this can happen several ways.  If it is a program that is held at one of the schools and school dismisses early due to weather the program is cancelled.  If school is cancelled at the beginning of the day due to weather, the program may still be held if weather clears up prior to the program starting.  You may also call the Parks and Recreation Department at 382-4352 and you will be able to connect into an informational voice box that will detail any program cancellations or changes.  Other times you may receive an email or phone call from the department or the program instructor/coach.

How do I register for a program?

To register for a program please fill out the online registration information at http://abcsportscamps.com/nevadaiowa.

What rental facilities are available?

Gates Memorial Hall and the SCORE Pavilion.  Capacities vary; please see appropriate section of the website for further information regarding these facilities.

What is your reservation policy regarding rental facilities and shelters?

Depending on the time of the reservation one half of your rental fee must be paid as a deposit on the facility in which you are renting.  Within 60 days of your reservation date, full payment is due.  All facilities can be rented two (2) years in advance from the current month.

What is your alcohol policy?

Beer and wine are permitted, however, no hard alcohol is allowed at Gates Hall and the Pavilion.  There is no alcohol allowed at any time at Kiwanis Park or Billy Sunday Field.

How many people can be on my family pass?

Only current family members living in the same household can be on a family pass.

What is your cancellation policy for rental facilities?

Please see the rules and regulations for the appropriate facility.

What is your cancellation policy for programs?

Refunds will only be given in the event of extenuating circumstances such as medical, which must be verified or if the program is cancelled by the Nevada Parks and Recreation Department.

Is motorized equipment allowed on the trail system?

No, only authorized maintenance vehicles are allowed on the trails.

Can I rent picnic tables and banquet tables/chairs?

A limited number of picnic tables are available for rent from the Nevada Parks and Recreation Department at a cost of $5.00/table/day.  Renters must pick up and return picnic tables.  Banquet tables and chairs are not available for rent.

Do you allow fishing in your ponds?

Yes, fishing is allowed in our ponds.  However, there is no swimming or wading.  Catch and release is requested.  Appropriate DNR regulations do apply.

Who runs the soccer program and how do I register?

The Nevada Soccer Club runs the soccer program.  Please visit the Nevada Soccer Club's website at http://www.nevadasoccer.org.

Do you rent shelters at parks?

Yes, several shelter houses located in our parks are available for rent.  Shelters rent for $5.00/hour.  Reservations can be made by calling Nevada Parks and Recreation at 382-4352.

What youth programs do you offer? Adult? Senior?

Various programs are offered throughout the year.  Please visit the programs page for information regarding all programs held by Nevada Parks and Recreation.

Is Gates Memorial Hall open on weekends?

Gates Memorial Hall is not open on weekends for normal business activities.  Gates Hall is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.  During evenings or weekends, Gates Hall is open for scheduled activities only.  Reservations can only be made during normal business hours.  If you are interested in viewing the facility and cannot do so during normal scheduled hours, please call 382-5467 to set up an appointment.

What are the Parks and Recreation office hours?

The Nevada Parks and Recreation Office is typically open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.  There are times in which the office is closed due to varying circumstances.  A drop box is located outside our office door in the event you need to turn in a registration form.  If you need to talk specifically with staff, you are highly encouraged to call 382-4352 to set up an appointment.

Is there a staff person available during my rental?

When reserving Gates Memorial Hall, a staff person is on site during your event.

Do you have non-profit rates?

No, currently there are no special rates for non-profits.

Do you have resident and non resident fees?

Nevada Parks and Recreation does not charge non-resident fees.

What are your rules on catering?

Gates Memorial Hall has no in-house catering.  All catering needs are the responsibility of the renter.

What are your park hours?

Parks are open from sunrise to midnight.

Is camping allowed at your parks?

No, at this time we do not have sites set up to accommodate camping.

How can I get a job at Parks and Recreation?

If you are interested in working for Nevada Parks and Recreation please fill out an application form and return to the office.  Applications will be considered when openings exist.

Does Parks and Recreation need volunteers?

Yes, numerous volunteers are needed to help ensure quality programming.  If interested please contact Nevada Parks and Recreation at 382-4352.

Do you accept online payments?

Program payments are accepted via the online registration system at http://abcsportscamps.com/nevadaiowa.  Payment for rental facilities are check or cash only made at the time of reservation at the Parks and Recreation Office.


Why are we licensing our Pets?

  • Unite pets & owners quicker when pets stray
  • Provide proof to the community your pet is current on rabies
  • Tags let the community know you are a responsible pet owne
  • Reduces the likelihood your pet is sheltered
  • May reduce fees if your pet is sheltered

Why are you asking for spay/neutering, is it required by city law now?
  • Pets are not required to be altered
  • Altered pets cannot haphazardly breed
  • Altered pets tend to be less aggressive, depending on the pet

My pets are always indoors, do I need to license them?
  • Yes
  • Pets will find a way out if they choose to do so
  • If your pets stray, & not licensed, it may take longer to reunite with them

Are you going to check households to verify their pets are licensed?
  • The Community Service Officer {CSO} or police are not going door to door to do this
  • If police or CSO are investigating a complaint, pet licensing will be verified

What expenses are addressed with these revenues?
  • Reduce the City costs of animal control
  • The current budget for Animal Control in Nevada is over $10,000. When animals are placed in shelter, there are fees associated with their care. The city pays up to seven (7) days of boarding and any additional care or treatment the animal requires. These fees are paid whether the animal is claimed or not. If the animal is euthanized, the city pays these fees.

What are the fees the City of Nevada has to pay for Animal Control?
  • Related to Animal Control. Impounding costs are established by the Council as necessary to recover all costs and charges incurred by the City in impounding and maintain the animal. In addition to all costs of impounding the animal, there is an administrative fee of $50.00 per incident per animal for each impoundment. All of the above fees and charges must be paid by the owner before the animal is released
  • The City has a contract with the local veterinary for these services
  • Daily Cat Impoundment Fee $9.40 /day
  • Daily Dog Impoundment Fee $13.40 /day
  • Rabies Observation Fee (in addition to daily impoundment) $6.50 /day
  • Euthanasia and Cremation $50.00
  • Cremation Only $39.50
  • Rabies Vaccination $16.90
  • After Hours Examination $55.00
  • Feral Cat –Special Handling Fee (one-time fee) $24.50
  • The city is responsible for these fees whether an animal is claimed or not

Why EVERY year?
  • Reduce the City costs of animal control
  • Better tracking of pet population and record keeping
  • Annually, similar to a boat, motorcycle, vehicle

Why does it cost more per dog and cat if you have 5 or more animals?
  • A method to control pet population
  • Allows owners to still have as many pets as they choose

Why all the documentation?
  • Rabies vaccination is required
  • Discerns between altered and unaltered pets
  • Photos help identify pets

Why do you need a picture of my pet?
  • Photo help identify pets
  • The tag goes with the pet, additional pets need additional tags

What if my pet is too sick to receive the rabies vaccine?
  • Temporary situation?  Wait until the pet is healthy
  • Permanent situation? Documentation from your vet

Can proof of a titer be sufficient?
  • No

Will Pet Owners get notice of renewing licenses?
  • Reminders may be sent to pet owners
  • Our data base will assist in providing notification

Will the city be held responsible if an animal causes injury to another person?
  • Pet owners are responsible for the behavior of their pets

When was this ordinance passed by the City Council?
  • City Council passed the ordinance on August 11th, 2014
  • Between May 12 and August 11, 2014, the City held six public meetings where Urban Chickens, Animal Control, Pet Licensing and the Animal Control Officer (Community Service Officer) position was discussed.  Those conversations were long, a lot of research was provided and the City Council gave final reading on the ordinances amending the Animal Code, adding the Pet Licensing and Fees on Aug. 11, 2014.

Why did it take so long to implement this ordinance?
  • After a long recruiting process, the Community Service Officer position was filled in October 2015.
  • The CSO was a new position. After some acclimation and training, the process to begin pet licensing started. A bike sale was needed to dispose of unclaimed bikes, the NPSD usually does a Bike Rodeo in the spring, and putting all these events together seems an appropriate time to start the pet licensing.
  • As an incentive, pet licensing fees are waived until July 1st, 2016, to have pet owners register their pets from now until July 1st, and not just at the pet licensing event.

Who do I call to ask questions about pet licensing?
  • Please call the Nevada Public Safety Department at 515-382-4593 if you need to license your pet.


What is the location of the Nevada Police Department?

We are located inside the Nevada City Hall at 1209 6th Street.

How do I make a report to the Nevada Police or get an officer to respond to a call?

Please call our 24-hour dispatch number at 515-382-4305.

How do I obtain a police record?

Come into the police department between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and request a copy of a report.  There is a fee for this service.

Does the Police Department do job application fingerprinting?

Yes, with a valid ID. There is a $25.00 fee for this service. You may want to call before you come in to make sure an officer is available at that time.

Need to be fingerprinted for a job application, professional or other personal reason. Will the Police Department do this?

Yes. There is a $25.00 fee for this service. This service is provided at the police department Monday-Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. This service is not provided on holidays. Appointments are not necessary but you are encouraged to telephone the police department prior to coming in to make sure an officer is available to help you. The police department is located at 1209 6th Street, Nevada. The administration telephone number is 515-382-4593.

Does my pet need to be licensed?

Yes. The owner of every dog or cat six months old or older shall procure a license for each dog and cat from the Nevada Public Safety Department on or before January 1 of each year. The owner of a dog or cat for which a license is required shall apply to the Nevada Public Safety Department on forms provided by the City. All licenses shall expire on January 1 of the year following the date of issuance.

Pet Licensing Form (PDF)

What do I do if my pet is missing?

Call the police department at 382-4305 right away with a good description of your animal. If found we will return it home.

What if my pet is found running at large?

A domestic animal running at large is in violation of city code 55.01.  It is the duty of every animal owner to supervise, restrain and control their animal at all times.  If such animal is found to be running at large, it will be picked up by a Nevada Police Officer and impounded at the Nevada Vet Clinic until ownership has been determined and fees paid to the Nevada Police Department.  If you think your pet may have been picked up, please call the Police Department.

What are the laws on a barking dog?

Continuous or repeated barking, baying, whining, howling or making of any annoying sound for prolonged or repeated time periods is prohibited within the City of Nevada.

Where do I pay a traffic ticket?

All traffic tickets are paid at the Story County Clerk of Court either in Ames at; 515 Clark Avenue, or at the Story County Justice Center at 1315 B Avenue in Nevada.  If you prefer to mail them in, please use the Ames address.

Where do I pay a parking ticket?

You may either bring payment to the police department or mail it to the police department.

How do I file a parking complaint?

You may either fill out complaint form from our forms folder or you may call the police department.

Where can I find information on the City’s parking laws?

You will find all city parking ordinances on our city website under city ordinances.  If you have further questions, you may call the Nevada Police Department at 382-4593.

How do I know if a snow emergency has been declared?

You may call the police department or city hall to find out.  After hours you may call dispatch at 382-4305 to find out.  If a snow emergency is declared, all local television and radio stations will be informed.

What is a snow emergency?

All parking is prohibited on city streets.  When a snow emergency is declared, all other ordinances and regulations pertaining to parking on City streets or in City parking lots shall be temporarily suspended for the duration of the snow emergency.  All parking is prohibited until such areas are cleared of snow by the City Streets Department.

Is the Police Department currently hiring?

You may call the office 515-382-4593 for employment opportunities.  Job postings are listed in the Nevada Journal and Ames Tribune when a job opening is available.

Where do I obtain an application?

The Nevada Police Department does not have an application we just ask that you send a resume and cover letter to Nevada Police Department.  All resumes and cover letters are kept on file for 6 months.

How do I license my bicycle?

You can print off this form, bring it in and we will then issue a license free of charge.  The Nevada Police Department highly recommends all bicycles within the city be licensed.

How do I request an officer to speak at my group function?

Call the Chief of Police at 382-4593 or print this form.

How do I report suspected drug or alcohol activity?

Call the 24 hours dispatch at 382-4305 or the police department at 382-4593.  All information is kept confidential.  You may also fill out a this form and return it to us.  You may remain anonymous if you would like.

Can you tell me the conditions of the roads in Central Iowa?

The Iowa State Patrol offers a road report hot-line at 1-800-288-1047, or 511 on your cell phone or www.iowaroadconditions.com.  This is updated as often as possible during periods of bad weather.

What is the phone number for the Story County Sheriff’s Office?

You can contact the Story County Sheriff's Office at 515-382-6566.  They are open 24 hours-a-day, everyday.

How can I obtain a copy of an accident or offense report?

The Nevda Public Safety Department will provide copies of those reports for a nominal fee.  The office is open Monday - Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Can I park my car in the street while it is snowing?

If it is snowing, the City's snow ordinance has likely been put into effect.  While the snow ordinance is in effect, parking is not allowed on ANY City street or in any City owned parking lot.  These restrictions remain in effect until the snow or ice storm passes and streets have been cleared.  Questions about the City's snow ordinance can be directed to the police department by call 515-382-4593.

How will my family be notified of impending emergencies, or provided emergency information?

The City of Nevada has partnered with a company called CodeRED to provide emergency and mass notification information to the community.  This notification system allows the City to make mass telephone notifications or to send residents email and text message notifications regarding emergencies or other significant events.Information regarding CodeRED can be obtained by clicking on the CodeRED icon on the City's web page or by calling City Administration at 515-382-5466.

Are citizens allowed to ride with police officers?

Yes.  Citizens interested in participating in a police ride along should contact the Chief of Police by telephoning 515.382.4593 or by emailing the Chief at pdchief@midiowa.net.

Can radar be run on my street?

Yes.  Requests for additional traffic patrols or requests for the department's speed trailer to be placed in a specific location can be directed to the police chief via telephone (515.382.4593) or email pdchief@midiowa.net.

Do I have to fill out a report if I am involved in a motor vehicle crash?

Motor vehicle crashes resulting in death, personal injury, or property damages in excess of $1000.00 need to be reported to local law enforcement.  These incidents are reported to the Iowa Department of Transportation (IADOT) by the Nevada Police Department.  If you are involved in such an incident, you must immediately report this incident to police by calling 911 for emergencies or by calling the department's 24-hour non-emergency number at 515.382.4305.  Following a police investigation of the motor vehicle crash, the police department will file all applicable IADOT reports for all of the involved parties.

Does the police department provide vacation security checks?

Yes.  Further information regarding this program can be found on the department's web page or can be obtained by telephoning police department administration at 515.382.4593.

Does the police department unlock cars?

No.  In non-emergency situations the police department does not provide this service.  Local locksmiths or towing services can be contacted for this service.  In emergency situations (i.e. a child is locked in the car during the summer heat or winter cold) dial 911 for a police response.

What are the child safety seat requirements?

Effective July 1, 2004:

  • Children must ride in an appropriate rear facing child safety seat until one (1) year of age and at least 20 pounds.
  • Children must ride in a child safety or booster seat up to 6 yrs. of age.
  • Children age 6 through 10 must ride in a booster seat or seat belt.

*For more information about how to comply with this law, contact SAFE KIDS for a local resource at 1-800-258-6419 or visit www.blankchildrens.org/cps.

What is the City’s policy concerning motorized scooters?

Motorized scooters are not to be operated on any public roadway, due to the fact they cannot be licensed.  Motorized scooters are only allowed to be operated on private property.

Will emergency shelters be available for my family in the event of an emergency?

The City has an emergency storm shelter located in the basement of the Nevada Public Library (631 K Avenue).

I need to be fingerprinted for a job application, professional or other personal reason. Will the Police Department do this?

Yes.  There is a $25.00 fee for this service.  This service is provided at the police department Monday-Friday, between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. or 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.  This service is not provided on holidays.  Appointments are not necessary but you are encouraged to telephone the police department prior to coming in to make sure an officer is available to help you.  The police department is located at 1209 6th Street, Nevada.  The administration telephone number is 515-382-4593.

Where can I obtain an Iowa Driver’s License?

The local Iowa Driver's License Station is located in Ames at 3708 Lincoln Way.  There phone number is 515-296-2393.

Where can I register my vehicle?

The Story County Treasurer's Office is located in the County Administration Building, 900 6th Street, Nevada.  Their phone number is 515-382-7340.

Where is the courtroom?

The court for traffic citations and simple misdemeanors is located at 515 Clark Avenue in Ames.  The court for all other matters is located at 1315 South B Avenue in Nevada.  Questions regarding court assignments or services can be directed to the Story County Clerk of Court by telephoning 515-239-5140 in Ames or 515-382-7410 in Nevada.


Can I park my car in the street while it is snowing?

Your vehicle will be ticketed and/or towed for parking in the street during a snow occurrence. Be mindful of anticipated snowfall before leaving for work in the mornings or before retiring at night and make arrangements to park vehicles off the street.  Even if the snow emergency is not in effect, the snow plows may be sanding or salting the streets.

Can snow accumulation at my mailbox affect my mail delivery?

he Street Department makes every effort to clear the streets of snow/ice all the way to the curb, but it is not always possible. The United States Postal Service depends on the resident to meet postal requirements regarding delivery and collection of mail to curbside boxes. Removing snow and ice accumulations from the approach and exits to mailboxes allows the carrier to deliver mail safely and efficiently.

I've noticed a sewer odor in my home, what can I do?

Basement floor drains that have dried up will allow sewer gas to enter the home. These drains need to be checked and refilled with water. Pour a quart or two of water in these drains every week or so to keep them filled. Adding a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil or mineral oil to the water in the drain will slow down the evaporation of the water in the drain trap.

My mailbox was damaged by a snowplow. What should I do?

If your mailbox is damaged by a plow the City will repair or replace it with a standard metal mailbox and treated post Call 515-382-4813 to report a damaged box. Residents are responsible for replacing mailboxes that are knocked down by snow due to a pre-existing state of disrepair or deterioration. Custom mailboxes are placed in the public right of way at the property owner's own risk; repair or replacement will be with a standard metal mailbox and treated post.

What are the City's snow removal priorities?
  1. Major arterial roads such as Lincoln Highway, Main Street (6th Street), 19th Street, S-14, and 610th Street (Airport Road) to ensure that roads are clear for police, fire and safety vehicles.
  2. Other arterial routes such as South 6th Street, South B Avenue, South G Avenue, and 11th Street and Municipal Facilities and Parking Lots
  3. Residential Streets and Cul-de-sacs
  4. Haul Main Street (6th Street)
    • * Plowing or material spreading of any streets may be stopped at any time to go back to higher priority areas to re-apply material or plow if conditions warrant.
    • * Five (5) crews are working simultaneously in different areas of the community.
    • * Without delay, it takes approximately 12 solid hours for all crews to finish the entire community for one snow fall.

What do I do about a sewer backup mess?

A sewer backup can lead to disease, destruction of your valuables, damage to your house and electrical malfunctions. Prompt clean up of affected property can help minimize the inconvenience and damage.  Immediately arrange for the cleanup of your property, take before and after photos of the affected areas, itemize any property losses, wet-vacuum or remove spillage, mop the floors and wipe walls with soap and disinfectant, flush out and disinfect plumbing fixtures, steam clean or remove carpet and drapes, repair or remove wallboard or wall covering, and clean appliances and ductwork.

What do I do if my sewer backs up?

If you experience a sewer backup, call the Street Department at 515-382-4813 during regular business hours. Call Story County Dispatch 515-382-4305 after hours and holidays.  A maintenance crew will be dispatched to your address to determine if the stoppage is in the City main or your sewer service line. If the City main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service to correct the problem. The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure and into the City sewer main. If the blockage is in the City main, we will fix it promptly and keep you informed about what is being done.

IMPORTANT: Check your homeowner's insurance policy to see if you have coverage for back-ups. If you do not have coverage, consider adding it to your policy. In most cases the City's insurance will not cover your damages in the event of an incident.

Why does the snowplow driver fill up my driveway?

For a resident this can be quite annoying, but unfortunately it cannot be helped. Snowplow drivers do not intentionally fill driveways. When plowing a street, the excess snow accumulates along the curbside, gaps such as an open driveway will inevitably be filled with new snow during this process. Waiting to shovel until the end of the snowstorm will help minimize the need for repeated shoveling. When you shovel, do not push the snow into the street. The practice of depositing

Will the City remove a dead animal from my property?

The City will remove dead animals from the streets and right-of-ways.  Contact the Street Department at 515-382-4813.

What are the Street Department’s duties for the City of Nevada?

The Street Department has seven (7) employees and are responsible for maintaining, cleaning, and repairing 44.21 lane miles of roadway and right-of-way, replacing and repairing all signs in the right of way, performing snow removal on all city streets, alleys, and public parking lots, removing tree's on city property and right-of-way, operating and maintaining all excavation and road maintenance equipment, reviewing and commenting on construction site plans submitted to the city, assisting water, wastewater, and parks with excavation, grading, and repair of city utilities and grounds, clearing of City sewer blockages, and doing concrete paving repair on city property.

How much snow must fall before the snow plows are sent out?

Many things determine when the snow plows are sent out: the rate of snowfall per hour; the moisture content of the snow; the ambient temperature of the air; the temperature of the pavement; the wind direction and velocity; the time of day; and the forecast of the predicted snowfall. Unless extenuating circumstances make it inadvisable to do so, snowplows are activated when two (2) or more inches of snow have fallen on the ground.

How do pot holes form and who do I call to report one?

Potholes can be caused by many factors such as: expansion and contraction of the pavement due to temperature fluctuations; inadequate drainage; faulty materials and unstable sub grade, to name a few. We strive to repair potholes as soon as we are aware of their existence. To report a pothole, call the Street Department at 515-382-4813.

How often do the streets get swept?

The Street Department will schedule street sweeping before any holiday and community event.  The entire community is swept twice a month between April and October.  Sweeping may occur more often depending on weather (winds and debris) or the lack of precipitation.

I have a heave in the sidewalk on my property, who is responsible?

Per state law, it is the home owner's responsibility for upkeep of the sidewalk.

There is a tree on my property that is dead or diseased. It is on the city right of way. Who should I call about taking care of this problem?

To report a dead or diseased tree, call the Street Department at 515-382-4813.

Is the city responsible for maintaining the trees in the right of way?

Per City ordinance, it is the property owner's responsibility to maintain the tree. The city ordinance states that limbs overhanging the roadway must be 15 ft. above the street or 2 ft. behind the curb, and 8 ft. above the sidewalk.

Who do I contact about a problem with my street?

Call the Street Department at 515-382-4813 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday thru Friday and leave a message.

Emerald Ash Borer: Frequently Asked Questions

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources has confirmed Emerald Ash Borer in several counties around the state and suggested communities think about how they can deal with this invasive pest. Nevada has 365 ash trees in the City right-of -way, in City parks, or at City-owned facilities. To be proactive in dealing with this destructive insect, city leaders have decided to go ahead with a plan to remove and replace these trees.

What is Emerald Ash Borer and why is it a problem?

Emerald Ash Borer or EAB, is a small metallic green beetle native to Asia. Adult beetles are about 1/2 inch long x 1/8 inch wide or about the size of Abraham Lincoln's head on a penny. They likely came over from Asia around 2002 in wood shipping pallets and had spread throughout the country since then.

Adult beetles eat ash foliage causing little damage to the tree. The EAB larvae grow and feed on the plant tissue under the bark of the ash tree. The tunneling caused by the larvae prevents water and nutrient delivery which deteriorates the health of the tree. This can ultimately lead to the tree's death. Affected trees of the genus Fraxinus including: Green, White, Black, Blue, and Pumpkin ash but NOT Mountain ash (Sorbus species).

A picture showing the size of an adult Emerald Ash Borer as well as larvae tunnels can be seen below.

Where can I find more information about Emerald Ash Borer?

The Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Office provides extensive information and videos on the ISU extension EAB website. Our professional tree consultant, Copper Tree Consulting, also suggests Purdue's EAB website for further information.

Some other helpful links regarding ash tree identification and EAB include:

What is the City's plan in dealing with Emerald Ash Borer?

The City has utilized the services of  Copper Tree Consulting to complete a tree survey for the City that focused on locating and assessing the EAB risk for ash trees within the right-of-way, in City parks, and at City-owned facilities. These ash trees were studied and removal was prioritized by size, health, and overall risk. Sixteen large trees identified as most at risk due to their size and overall health will be targeted in the initial removal phase. A contractor will be hired to remove the affected trees and grind the resulting stumps.

The City is committed to maintaining a balance of public safety through the removal of the trees and replanting new trees to replace those lost. Once the initial trees are removed the replacement process can start. Further removal and replacement of those ash trees considered less at risk will be ongoing until all of the identified trees are dealt with.

Are there any suggestions for how I can help deal with Emerald Ash Borer?

There are a couple ways you can help deal with the emerald ash borer problem. According to the Iowa DNR, EAB spread has been primarily caused by the movement of firewood. The DNR has  enacted a quarantine for all 99 counties in Iowa meaning that citizens should not move firewood across state or county lines.

Identifying ash trees on your property and watching for signs of decline can help as well. Signs of decline can include:

  • Top of the tree thinning or dying off
  • Spindly sprouts (water sprouts or "suckers") growing from the trunk or roots
  • "D" shaped exit holes (1/8 inch diameter)
  • Increased woodpecker activity
  • Feeding notches on edge of leaflets
  • "S" shaped feeding galleries under dead bark (as seen in picture above)

I have an ash tree in my back yard I am concerned about, what can I do?

The City's plan addresses the 365 trees in the City right-of -way, in City parks, and at City-owned facilities. If you have an ash tree on private property that you are concerned about, you may wish to contact the local extension office or a professional tree service to discuss options for treating, removing, or replacing your ash tree.

If you suspect your tree may have Emerald Ash Borer, you can contact one of the following:

  • State Entomologist Office, IDALS: 515-725-1465
  • Iowa DNR Forestry, 515-281-4915
  • Iowa State Extension Outreach, 515-294-1101

Where can I find updates on the progress of this project?

The City maintains a projects webpage that provides further details and updates on the Emerald Ash Borer Project and many other City projects.

Who can I contact about this specific project?

You can contact our professional tree consultant, Copper Tree Consulting at 515-559-4152.

Staff contacts for this project are Public Works Director Mike Neal or Parks & Recreation Director Tim Hansen. Mr. Neal can be reached at 382-2621 and Mr. Hansen can be reached at 382-4352.

What type of mosquito control will be done?

The city will be spraying just like past years and will also be doing larvicide treatments as necessary (treating standing water with pellets).

When will spaying be done?

It is the intent of the city to spray prior to special events in the community. Those events are July 4th, Story County Fair, and Lincoln Highway Days. The city will also be spraying when the mosquito count indicates the need. The city will monitor a website maintained by the ISU Entomology Department that keeps a count on the mosquito population.

Spraying will be done in the evenings, generally around 7 p.m. Spraying will typically be done on a weeknight; however, that is subject to change depending on circumstances.

Mosquito spraying is dependant on weather factors such as rain, wind, and temperature.

What city staff will be spraying?

Currently the city has these individuals certified to spray: Joe Mousel, Gene Fritz, Mike Neal, Jamie Tendall, Mike Ackerman, Dave Harrison, Dennis Pratt, Brad Tendall and Keith Tillotson.

Are there no spray zones?

There are not any "no spray" zones; the entire city will be sprayed. If you wish to be notified of spraying so you can avoid the sprayer when it is in your area, please call the Parks and Recreation Department at 382-4352 to be put on a list for notification.

If I want to be notified when spraying will be done; how do I get on the list?

The city will be using the Code Red notification system to send out a text message and/or an email message to those that wish to be notified the day spraying will be done. This is a notification that spraying will be done in your area.

If you would like to be notified of when the city will be spraying, please call the Parks and Recreation Department at 382-4352 You will need to provide the following information:

First and last name
Home address
Home phone
Cell phone & cell phone provider
Email address

Where do I get information on the types of chemicals being used?

The city will be using BIOMIST 4+4 ULV for spraying and 5% Skeeter Abate for larvicide treatments. Individuals can see chemical labels and MSDS information by accessing the web site for Clarke Mosquito Control at www.clarkemosquito.com and clicking on Labels & MSDS.

Where do I get information on the types of chemicals being used?

The city will be using BIOMIST 4+4 ULV for spraying and 5% Skeeter Abate for larvicide treatments. Individuals can see chemical labels and MSDS information by accessing the web site for Clarke Mosquito Control at www.clarkemosquito.com and clicking on Labels & MSDS.

What can I do to help reduce mosquitoes around my house?

After rains, check your yard for items that can hold water such as toys, flower pots and vases, buckets, wheel barrows, etc., and empty any standing water. Anything that can hold water for a few days can breed mosquitoes

Empty and clean out bird baths once a week.

Check your gutters so they don't become clogged and hold water.Fill in low areas in your yard so they don't hold water.

Maintain drainage systems.Remove items from your yard that can hold water after it rains, such as tires, buckets, cans, etc.

Clean out small pools at least once per week and maintain larger pools properly.Keep ditches and streams next to your property free of grass clippings, garbage, and other debris which can obstruct the natural flow of water.

Store boats upside down or with a cover on to prevent water from collecting in them.

Keep grass and weeds cut to reduce harborage areas for adult mosquitoes around your home.

Stock ponds with small fish to eat mosquito larva.

Check screens in doors and windows for holes and rips.

Point our potential problem areas to neighbors and friends.

If you have a storm drain or catch basin in your back yard, cover it with fine screen mesh or burlap to prevent mosquitoes from entering it. If this is not possible, please contact the city so we can treat it to prevent mosquito breeding.

Bug zappers and mosquito magnets do not kill large percentages of mosquitoes in yards; do not rely on this as a means of protecting yourself and your family from mosquitoes.

When going outside, especially in the evening and at night, use mosquito repellant. Also, if you are working in the garden, other heavily vegetated area, or in a shaded area during the day use mosquito repellant.Repellants that contain 5-10% DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) are usually the best.

You  can get other good Q&A information from the CDC website.


How much wastewater does the plant treat each day?

Around 1 million gallons per day under normal conditions.  Flows increase during heavy rains and periods of wet weather.

What is done with the sludge that is produced at the plant?

After being processed by anaerobic digestion, liquid bio-solids are hauled and applied to farm ground and used as a soil amendment for the nutrient content.

What do I do if my sewer backs up?

Call the Street Department at 515-382-4813 during regular business hours. Call the Police Department at 515-382-4305 after hours and holidays. A maintenance crew will be notified of the problem and determine if the stoppage is in the city main or your service line. If the city main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service to correct the problem.  The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure into the city sewer main. If the blockage is in the city main, we will fix it promptly and keep you informed on what is being done.

IMPORTANT: Check your homeowner's insurance policy to see if you have coverage for backups. If you do not have coverage, consider adding it to your policy. In most cases the City's insurance will not cover your damages in the event of a backup.

I’ve noticed a sewer odor in my home, what can I do?

Basement floor drains that have dried up will allow sewer gas to enter the home. These drains need to be checked and refilled with water. Pour a quart or two of water in these drains every week to keep them filled. Adding a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil or mineral oil to the water in the drain will slow down the evaporation of the water in the drain trap.

What do I do about a sewer backup?

A sewer backup can lead to disease, destruction of your valuables, and damage to your home and/or electrical malfunctions. Prompt cleanup of affected property can help minimize the inconvenience and damage.

  • Immediately arrange for the cleanup of your property
  • Take before and after photos of the affected areas
  • Itemize any property losses
  • Wet-vacuum or remove spillage
  • Mop the floors and wipe walls with soap and disinfectant
  • Flush out and disinfect plumbing fixtures
  • Steam clean or remove carpet and drapes
  • Clean appliances and ductwork
  • Repair or remove wallboard or wall covering

Where does the City’s responsibility end and the property owner's begin?

The property owner's sewer extends from the interior plumbing of the building to where the pipe connects to the public sewer main, most frequently located in the center of the street or alley.  The sewer main is the city's responsibility.

What causes water to gush from my toilet?

This condition can be the result of preventative sewer maintenance activities. Sewer mains are cleaned from the inside of the pipe by using high-pressure water. Occasionally this can cause a surge in the service line.


Who do I contact to sign up for water service or to make changes to my water service account?

Contact the Utility Billing Department located at City Hall for these services.  You can call them at 515-382-5466.

Who do I contact to ask questions about my water service bill?

Contact the Utility Billing Department located at City Hall for these services. You can call them at 515-382-5466.

Who do I contact if I have no water?

Contact the Water Department at 515-382-2074.  If it is after 4 p.m. call the Story County Sheriffs Office at 515-382-6566.

Do I need a water softener if I live in the City of Nevada?

Our water has a hardness of 140 ppm or 8.19 grains. This means that the water is Soft and does not require a water softener. So it is personal preference.

Is there chlorine in the water?

Yes. The water contains a minimum 0.3 ppm free chlorine to make sure it is disinfected. This amount is mandated by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

Is there fluoride in the water?

Yes. The City of Nevada has fluoridated the water, which, provides for healthier teeth in children.  The maximum level allowed by the Environmental Protection Agency is 4.0ppm, we currently run around 1.0ppm.

How much water does the City of Nevada use every day?

The City of Nevada uses approximately 1 million gallons of water every day. This may seem like a lot of water, but the underground aquifers that we draw water from vary very little from year to year. But this does not mean that people should not conserve!

I live outside the city limits of Nevada. Can I get City of Nevada Water?

o. Only residents of the City of Nevada can connect to the water system.

How munch Iron is in the water?

With the new treatment plant and its processes we currently reduce the iron from 5.50ppm to less than 0.02ppm on a daily basis.  Only time red water should be a problem is during hydrant flushing or a main break.

Who do I contact if I want my water tested?

Everyday our lab checks numerous samples to make sure that we are producing high quality water. If you would like your water tested you may contact Minnesota Valley Testing Labs (MVTL) in Nevada. You can call them at 515-382-5486.

How much water is in the towers located in town?

The City of Nevada Water Department has two steel tanks and one large in ground reservoir. The total storage capacity is 1.5 million gallons. These tanks and reservoir provide water for pressure as well as fire protection.

What are the two ponds behind the water plant and why are they blue like the ocean?

The water plant uses a process called lime softening to treat the water.  The lime used in the process raises the pH of the water.  When the lime has been exhausted it is stored in the ponds behind the building.  The water has a high pH which causes it to have the very bright blue color.

Why does my tap water taste strange or smell bad at times?

Taste is not a good indicator of whether the water is safe.  Taste in water can come from substances either naturally found in or added to the water, such as minerals, chlorine, and various organic substances. Some substances impart a strong taste while others do not. Taste in water is a complex issue involving many factors: individual preferences, taste sensitivity, time of year, water source(s), water temperature, and location of the distribution system, amount of chlorine used, medications, water usage, home plumbing, and many other factors.

Your water is tested daily to assure all customers the treatment system is working well and your water is safe for consumption. The softening process, which, uses brine for regeneration adds a small amount of salty taste to the water.  Chlorine is added to kill many bacteria.  It may give the water a chlorine odor. Water that has been in the pipes for a long time may get "stale", especially in the summer or for people living on dead ends.  Most of these areas have been identified and the Water Department regularly flushes these mains to keep water fresh.

What can I use to clean mold and other organisms?

If a hard scale has formed, use a mild acidic cleaner such as vinegar or other commercial cleaners to help removal the scale. Hot showers produce a significant amount of humidity, creating an environment suitable for algae, molds, and bacteria to thrive and grow. Chlorine normally present in the water to prevent such growth has been driven out by the temperature of the hot water. All these organisms are more likely to occur in cool basement showers where water vapor condenses on the walls and the room does not dry out sufficiently. These growths are not harmful, just visually unpleasant. You can reduce or prevent the growth of these colorful organisms by better ventilating the bathroom to remove the moisture. As a short-term solution, use a diluted bleach solution to kill and remove the organisms. Use appropriate caution when applying the solution, such as proper ventilation and vinyl gloves.

Problems With Your Water Service?

Rusty Water - Rusty water is safe to drink, but is objectionable because is discolors laundry and affects the flavor of some beverages (such as tea and coffee). Usually, problems with rusty water are caused by a disturbance in the distribution system. If you experience rusty water, try to avoid using any water in order to limit the amount of rust you pull inside your plumbing system. Postpone doing laundry until after the problem clears up. If you have already done laundry and it is stained, do not dry it. The water plant has a product available that may remove the stains. When you experience rusty water, please contact the water plant at 382-2074. Have the following information ready when you call:

  • When did you first notice the problem (time of day)?
  • Is the problem with both the hot and cold water?
  • Are you aware if any of your neighbors are experiencing the same problem?
  • Are you aware of any construction work occurring in your area?
  • Has the fire department or street sweeper been using a hydrant in your area?

Has the city been flushing hydrants in your area?

Taste or Odor Problems - It is often difficult to isolate the cause of taste or odor problems. If you experience objectionable tastes or odors, please contact the water plant at 382-2074. The water plant laboratory may want to come and collect a sample.  Have the following information ready when you call:

  • When did you first notice the problem (time of day)?
  • Is the problem with both the hot and cold water?
  • Have you installed a new water heater recently (within past year)?

Low Pressure - Water pressure varies within the city, but averages about 45 pounds per square inch (psi).  If you notice lower than normal pressure, please contact the water plant at 382-2074.  Have the following information ready when you call:

  • How long have you experienced this problem?
  • Have you had any plumbing work done lately? (If you have, and the problem is isolated to a single faucet, check the aerator for debris).
  • Are you aware of any construction work in your area?

No Water - The most common reason for being without water is a water main break. However, anytime you are without water and don't know why, please contact the water plant at 515-382-2074.  Have the following information ready when you call:

  • When did you first experience this problem?
  • Do you live in a mobile home? If so, problems within the park are the responsibility of the owner or manager. You will need to contact them directly.
  • Do you live in an apartment? If so, you should contact the manager to see if they are doing any plumbing work within the building.
  • Are you aware if any of your neighbors have the same problem?
  • Are you sure you are current on your water bill payment? You may have been shut off after proper notification.

Water Leak - The City is responsible for leaks in the water distribution system. Customers are responsible for any problems beginning at the corporation valve stop (valve where your pipes connect to the main) and ending at the meter. If you suspect a water main is broken, contact the water plant at 382-2074. Please provide the exact location if possible.

Unusually high or low water or sewer bill - water and sewer charges are based on water usage. If you believe your bill is lower than it should be, contact City Hall at 382-5466. If you believe your bill is higher than it should be, check the following and then contact City Hall.

  • Do you have a leaky valve on a toilet? The majority of high consumption issues are caused by leaks in a toilet.  You can simply place 2-3 drops of blue or green food coloring in the upper tank of your toilet. Wait 2-3 hours and see if the color shows up in the bowl. If it does, you have a leaking valve that should be replaced. Also, sometimes the handle sticks and keeps the flapper open.  This can use a lot of water very quickly.
  • Do you have faucets that drip? Even a slow drip can waste 450 gallons of water in a month.

Why do fire hydrants have different colored tops?

Fire hydrant caps are painted different colors to allow firefighters to quickly identify the flow rate of any fire hydrant. Knowing the flow rate of a fire hydrant tells them how much water it can provide for firefighting operations.

Is the "scum" in my bathtub and shower a deposit buildup from my water

City of Nevada Water Department softens the water by lime softening.  This process does not remove all of the hardness causing minerals in the water. These minerals will combine with soap and can leave a "scum" ring if not rinsed or wiped off after use of the tub or shower.

When is the best time to water my lawn?

Early morning (5 to 9 a.m.) is the best time to water the lawn. A morning application allows the water to soak deeply into the soil with little water lost to evaporation. When watering is completed, the turf grass foliage dries quickly. Watering at midday is less efficient because evaporation is rapid and strong winds may cause uneven water distribution. Strong midday winds may also carry water onto driveways, patios, or streets, wasting considerable amounts of water. Watering in the evenings or during the night may create conditions favorable for growing molds that attack and damage your lawn. Please use caution when applying fertilizer and pesticides to the lawn with a garden hose applicator. Using backflow prevention methods such as an air gap between the hose and container will prevent back siphoning of contaminated water into your home plumbing when you turn off the water. Make sure the applicator is disconnected from the hose when not in use to prevent chemicals from back flowing into the water.

Is tap water safe for my flowers and plants?

Tap water causes no problem for most potted plants including most flowers. However, all plants are different and some may be sensitive to a pH above 8.0 or salts and minerals that begin to accumulate with repeated cycles of watering. This situation is more likely to occur in small containers that do not drain. Talk to a florist about any specific watering needs for your special flowers.

Where is my water meter?

The meter is usually located at the point where the water pipe comes through the foundation. Usually it's either in the basement or utility room. Some commercial properties have water meters in underground vaults.

What is the cost to me when you replace my water meter?

There is no cost to you for meter maintenance.  Even if a meter should malfunction, there is no charge for a service worker to come out to repair or replace the meter. If the meter has been damaged by you then there are fees that can be assessed.

How do I shut off my water?

In your home near where your meter is located there should be some form of a valve to turn off your water inside your home.  If this valve is damaged or not functional you will have to contact the city to shut your water off at the curb stop.  The curb stop is discussed further down this page.

What are those paint markings/flags in my yard?

Iowa's One Call law (Iowa Code Ch. 480) has been in effect since 1993. This law requires any one doing any type of digging to contact Iowa One Call. When this call is made all underground utilities in the area will be notified. The utilities will use paint and flags to notify the digger where the buried underground utility is located.  The number to call is 1-800-292-8989 or 811.

What is that "little round metal thing" in my yard?

The round metal thing is called the curb box and it is used to turn the water service on and off to a property. It is usually located in the public right-of-way. City of Nevada requires that the curb stop be operable at all times. The property owner owns the curb box and is responsible for its maintenance.

Untitled Document
Contact Information
City of Nevada
1209 6th Street
Nevada, IA 50201
(515) 382-5466


City of Nevada · 1209 6th Street · Nevada, IA 50201 · (515) 382-5466